1. Frank put the medicine in the top drawer to make sure it would not be_______ to the kids.
2. My uncle’s house in the downtown area is much smaller than ours, but it is twice _______ expensive.
3. I’m not surprised that he became a writer. Even as a child he had a _______ imagination.
4. The incomes of skilled workers went up. ______, unskilled workers saw their earnings fall.
5. In the good care of the nurses, the boy is ______ recovering from his heart operation.
6. The children loved their day trip, and they enjoyed the horse ride .
7. I’m sure that your letter will get attention. They know you’re waiting for the reply.
8. The weather was _______ cold that I didn’t like to leave my room.
9. Last night Mr. Crook didn’t come back at the usual time. _______, he met some friends and stayed out until midnight.
10. It is ______ to spend money on preventing illnesses by promoting healthy living rather than spending it trying to make people ______ after they are ill.
A. good; good
B. well; better
C. better; better
D. better; good
11. Would it be ______ for you to pick me up at four o’clock and take me to the airport?
12. If a person has not had enough sleep, his actions will give him ______ during the day.
13. Jack is late again. It is ______ of him to keep others waiting.
14. Although badly hurt in the accident, the driver was ______ able to make a phone call.
15. A cough is usually nothing to worry about unless it lasts for ten days _______.
A. or more
C. at most